Dewalt 20v Max Review: A Great Tool Around the House
This Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill review will tell you why it is a great tool for most home construction jobs. This is a drill that can be used frequently without any loss of quality. The construction is durable, and the drill has a wide range of options for optimal use. The Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill can be bought on its own, or as part of a set of power tools.
What to consider before buying cordless drills
When deciding on the kind of cordless power drill that you should buy, you have to think about certain factors. These factors will help you in choosing the right drill for all your projects.
- The kind of work to be done – you need to know that some of the drills can be used for both masonry and woodwork. If you will only be working on wood, then you should choose one for wood only, but if you will be working on all, then choose a more powerful drill
- Reliability – you need a drill that will not get ruined within a few years of use. The brand name will sometimes indicate the reliability of the drill. However, looking at the specs of the drill will be a good indicator
- The power of the drill – you need to know the power of the drill, depending on the needs that you have for it. There are drills that will get stuck when working on hardwood because they are only calibrated for soft wood, plywood and others such as MDF.
- Variable speed – you need a drill that can vary the speed. Various materials should be drilled at different speeds depending on their hardness. Variable speed drills are ideal for all situations.
Presenting the Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill
The Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill is a mid raged power solution for the brand. It is a bit heavier than the 12V model and runs for longer, but will do the same job. It can also handle bigger jobs when it comes to drilling hardwood. You can also use the drill for masonry work, since it has a vibration mode which helps in breaking up masonry. It is quite compact and looks smaller than the competition, but it packs quite a lot of power. This is a drill for all purposes, and you will not need another drilling tool when you have this model.
Things We Liked
- This is a powerful drill and runs at speeds of up to 2000 RPMs. It suits high-speed masonry drilling as well a low-speed wood drilling.
- It has a brushless motor for less noise and higher energy efficiency.
- It is cordless and can therefore be taken to areas where there is no power.
- It is versatile and can be used in a wide range of projects; from home to construction work.
Things We Didn't Like
- The cons of the Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill
- The Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill is costly when compared to other brands.
- The standalone drill does not come packaged with a charger or battery and they have to be bought separately, therefore increasing the cost further.
Key Features of the Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill
Here are some of the key features associated with the Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill:
This is a versatile and powerful compact drill, and provides heavy-duty performance without the heavy weight of some of the drills in its class. It offers you two speed options, one running from 0 to 600 RPMs and the other running from 0 to 2000 RPMs. This means that you can work on masonry and wood by just adjusting the speed and vibration settings. It weighs only 3.4 pounds and has a length of 7.5 inches, and can be easily used in tight areas. It has an LED light that is truly amazing. It charges within 30 minutes thereby reducing downtime considerably. It has a kit box, an on-board bit holder and a great belt hook.
- The light design of the Dewalt 20V Max Compact drill makes it easy to fit into tight spaces.
- It has high speed transmission in two different settings for use in masonry and woodworking environments.
- It has better grip and control thanks to the ergonomic design of the handle
- It has an LED light for lighting up dark areas.
- It has a 30 minute fast charger, kit box, belt hook and on-board bit holder
- The drill is small and light and is great for overhead work. It comes with a drill kit containing a hard case and 2 batteries.
The making of the Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill is such that it works in various environments. It has variable speed settings because it can be used to drill through wood and stone. When drilling through masonry, there is the option of turning on the vibration setting so that it can break up the stone. This is great when you are drilling to break stones and not necessarily make holes. The company decided to treat the drills like race cars and stripped away all non-essential features and left the drill small and compact, but still as powerful as the older, bulkier models.
Pocket friendly cost
Dewalt have done it again, by giving artisans a drill that is not costly. This means that the hobbyists and professional can both afford a great drill without breaking the bank account. There are accessories that you may have to buy, depending on the desired use of the drill, and these will increase the cost.
All-in-all, the Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill will be one of the best drills in the market for quite a long time.
What other users say about the Dewalt 20V Max Cordless Drill
After browsing the Internet we found certain customer reviews that shed some light on certain aspects of Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill. Here is a sampling of their comments:
One customer was thinking that smaller and lighter meant cheaper and less durable, but was surprised to find the cost higher and the drill to be better. He believes that there was some value engineering put into the design of this new drill as opposed to new and improved engineering.
Another customer said that he has never been a fan of Dewalt power tools, but a friend at Home Depot convinced him to give this drill and try. He is quite impressed with its performance and thanks the company for a job well done.
Alternatives to the Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill
Makita LXT Brushless Drill
This drill operates on an 18V battery but is comparable to the Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill when it comes to performance. It is a drill that will work longer since it drains less power from the battery. Since it is brushless, it is also as quiet as the Dewalt. Quiet drills allow operators to hear their surroundings better and avoid accidents that may cone about due to too much noise distracting their attention. The standalone version also does not come with most of the required accessories, and these have to be bought separately. You may buy the kit to get all accessories.
Hilti ST1800-A18 18V Adjustable Torque Cordless drill
This is an advanced drill, which comes with a built-in cooling system to stop the drill from overheating or overloading; this prolongs the life of the drill. This is a drill that is designed to operate in construction settings, although it can also be used for home applications. It has a quick charging battery hence reducing the amount of downtime. It has adjustable torque; 18 different options. It is compact, and has a short line grip. This is a great design for operating the drill with one hand as you use the other for support.
Bosch Cordless Drill
This is best for artisans and hobbyists who want some versatility in their cordless drills. This is a small drill but has a lot of powerful options for use in the home and construction environments. It uses only 12 volts and will therefore last very long. However, there are some tough jobs that it will not handle as well as the Dewalt. It comes with 21 different torque positions, enabling it to be used on a wide range of materials. It only weighs 2 pounds and is 7 inches long, making it great for one-handed operation.
Having a cordless drill is an advantage since you can work in areas that have no power. The fact that the drills come with varying speeds enables them to be used on various materials including masonry. The compact design of this drill makes it easy to wield, and you can easily support yourself and use it with only one hand. It has an LED light that is great for lighting dark areas or for working in the night. You should consider the Dewalt 20V Max cordless drill when working with masonry, but you may also try out the alternatives listed above.